Photography is the culmination of planning, technique, vision, composition and perception, brought together in one instant – with a little (or more) editing.
>> Artsea Virtual Studio Tour of Leah Gray (youtube)
I love photography. I adore the artistic and technical challenges that must be met each time one creates an image. To capture the vital presence of one’s subject with care and purpose is incredibly fulfilling.
Having started out with sports photography many years ago, I explored the fast action and anticipation of the sport world before moving on to discover nature, macro, studio and other genres of photography. I love looking for new challenges. Contributing to my local photo club is a way to share my appetite for photography.
I was raised in Alberta and moved to British Columbia in 2010. Over the years I have photographed on three continents, capturing numerous award-winning images. Over the past three years, I have entered the world of International Photographic Salons (recognized by the Photographic Society of America and Federation Internationale de l’art Photographique). My images have reaped in excess of 600 acceptances and over 100 other awards including 15 gold medals.
I have photographs in several different collections including the BC Cancer Centre in Victoria and the Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site.
- Accreditied by the Canadian Association for Photographic Art (CAPA) as a certified judge July 4th, 2021
- Received the designation of PPSA in 2021 from the Photographic Society of America
- Image “Lead Mare” selected as part of the Canadian Association for Photographic Art 4-Nations entry (2021)
- Image in winning Victoria Camera Club entry to 2020 Lion’s Gate Celebration of Nature. Times Colonist , Black Press, Chek News
- Received the Fellowship Award (FCAPA) from the Canadian Association for Photographic Art (CAPA) in 2020. This is the highest honour recognized by CAPA (Canadian Associaiton for Photographic Art).
- Cover photo of the winter 2020 edition of Canadian Camera
- PSA Nature image of the year gold medal and Best in Show. Gold medal winner out of all of the Nature-wildlife medal-winning images from Photographic Society of America competitions in 2018.
- Black Press article on 4-Nations Competition with “Wild Dance” by Leah Gray
- Featured in Seaside Magazine (June, 2019, page 74-75)
- Cover photo of the 2019 November Victoria Camera Club magazine Close Up
- Cover photo of the 2019 July-August Victoria Camera Club magazine Close Up
- Winner of the 2018-19 and 2019-20 Distinguished Photographer of the year award (Advanced) at the Victoria Camera Club.
- 15 Gold Medals, 3 Best in Show awards as well as over 100 other placings and medals, and over 600 “acceptances” from Photographic Society of America competitions since October, 2017.
- Member of Canadian Association for Photographic Art (CAPA), Photographic Society of America (PSA) and the Victoria Camera Club.